Work has started on phase 1 pipework upgrade at the historic East Ham Town Hall with main contractor Thomas Sinden. Phase 1 sees part of heating and domestic water pipework serving the building being replaced whilst some parts of the building are refurbished.
The foundation stone for the Town Hall was originally laid in 1901. Designed by Henry Cheers and Joseph Smith in a Renaissance style and built by D.W. Barker, it was officially opened by the philanthropist, John Passmore Edwards, on 5 February 1903. The design involved an asymmetrical main frontage with six bays facing onto Barking Road; the right-hand section featured a 46m high tower and a large archway to the right inscribed with the words “Public Hall” above. A long extension to the south of the main building was completed in 1910 and a three-storey annex was created to the east on Barking Road in 1939.